Monday, January 23, 2012

Superintendent Reflections....

Self-assessment Reflection

I have certainly learned a lot from the courses as well as from my peers in the cohort group. Being concurrently enrolled in the Doctorate program has allowed me to dig deep in some aspects, especially ethics. I am currently taking that course and much of our previous discussions and content is coming back up. As with most, I am very confident in some areas and feel limited in some others. Being a learner, listening to the community’s voices, and having a great team behind you is a great way to compensate what you are limited in. After completing the self-assessment and comparing it to the first, I see some improvement throughout. Domain III is definitely something I was in the dark on. After completing the budget activities, the comparing districts WIKI, and engaging in discussion my confidence here is lifted. My new position in a bigger district has definitely limited my learning opportunities. Prior to here I worked side by side with the superintendent (small district) and know that I would’ve engaged in continuous daily conversations with him regarding all domains.

Position Goal

My career has been a very blessed one. I taught and coached at Lake Travis ISD where I saw much success both as a teacher and a coach. I received my masters and after 6 interviews, finalist in 4, I was hired in late July as Assistant Principal of a small PK-8th grade school district. After the first year I was promoted to Principal. Here I learned as much as you can learn being in everything possible from driving the bus to being the testing coordinator. Budget cuts initiated conversations between the superintendent and I and I decided to move forward with my career, resign, and begin my doctorate in hopes that teachers and aides would not be cut. (previous to me the district ran with one administrator Superintendent/Principal) After only a few days I was offered a job in my current district which has been an incredible experience.

Once I receive my superintendent certification and my doctorate I would like to lead a secondary campus for many years. My vision is to arrive in a campus with low scores, morale, and spirit and within a few years transform the entire community. Ultimately I would be interested in becoming a superintendent and teaching adjunct college courses.

Leadership Goal

My leadership goal throughout my career will be to lead by example. Being ethical, positive, and knowledgeable will get me far in my career. There are many things that need to change in education and I feel like I will make a difference using my leadership skills. As I continue my education my goal is to always stay up to date with contemporary issues and address them accordingly. Most importantly my leadership goal throughout my career is to inspire everyone around me to be great.

No comments:

Post a Comment